Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Abraca-motherfuckin-dabra....

...Hello ladies and gentlemen, it's been a bit since I've updated this corner of cyberspace with anything of weight. But, today, I shall plant a seed that is sure to grow into quite an oak.

It seems, that no matter where I go (i.e. the country, the city, east coast, left coast) I hear the same people saying the same things, just with different connotations.

"I wish _____ !"

Where we came across this subject, I'd like to know, because it falls right into the same category as 'prayer' to me.

Let me give you some food for thought.

"I wish I would get more auditions." says the out of work actor living in L.A.

"I wish I could win the lottery." says the hillbilly bumpkin buying a scratcher ticket.

"I wish my boobs were perkier." says the mid-30's lady looking in the mirror before a night out with the girls.

All across this land we hear similar things, but it's the minor ones that truly irk me. "I wish I had a beer right now." Mostly because, if by some freak of nature, you were granted one wish...at the most random of times, and you pissed it away on some idiotic "want" instead of a "need". We've become a planet of wants, and those wants have come to be known as wishes.

We are never happy with what we have, and therefore always want something that we don't have. Bigger boobs/wiener, cooler car, more money, nicer clothes, bigger house...

You get the point. We're forever 'wishing' for things that are so minuscule in comparison to things that, if it were granted, we'd truly WANT to wish for. "I wish I was super intelligent." "I wish all this war would go away and everyone could just get along." "I wish cancer would just disappear."

I personally recognize all these thoughts as the same ones that I was told to "pray" for by my grandmother at my bedside when I used to go stay with her. She would tell me to pray for the well being of others, and for my prayers to not be centered around me, or they would not come true.

Come true?...

So, God is some sort of Genie that grants wishes?

But, why put all these things in someone elses plate? Why not take these burdens upon yourself? "God, please give Josh a better day tomorrow. He's been having a hard time at work, and needs something to go his way." How about, instead of "Wishing" or "Praying"...whatever the fuck you want to call it...you say to yourself "I'm going to take it upon myself to make sure Josh has a better day tomorrow. I'll find something to cheer him up, and turn his mood around." This takes the middleman out of the equation, and therefore makes you feel more in control.

Because, let's face it, when was the last time you prayed/wished for something and it came true without some effort on your part? People have been praying for thousands of years for cancer and sickness to go away...guess what motherfuckers?...it's still here...and more rampant than ever. Some things are just out of our reach as humans.

But, that doesn't stop us from wishing for idiotic shit. We just can't grasp the "appreciation" of things anymore.

We no longer want what's good for others, just what's good for ourselves. And, to an extent of WISHING for these things. We, as intelligent beings, the top of the motherfucking food chain...WISH for things...as if we're going to be rubbing a beer bottle and a drunken genie is going to pop right the fuck out of the top and say "You *hiccup* rang asshole?"

No, that doesn't happen, because if it did, my life would be much different than it is right now. For that, YOUR life would be different right now, because I guarantee anything that I'd wish for would directly impact the world, and not just myself.

As shallow a people as we are now, I cannot see many others wishing for your benefit. Most, if you give them forewarning, would wish for something that would make them cooler, more prestigious or something to benefit them and their well being. To make them feel 'better' than you.

Imagine, you're the one man or woman on the planet that you're granted one wish and all of society finds out that your wish was for tickets to the World Series. You would be the laughing stock of the planet. Oh, you'd be famous alright, but you'd be famous for being a fucking idiot.

In my eyes, wishing and praying is taking the 'doing' out of my own hands and taking the power away from me and putting it into nothingness.

You want love? Don't wish for it, find a way to make it work. Maybe it's something to do with your personality. Are you scaring love away? Well, God isn't going to help you not be an asshole. Change it yourself.

You want more money? Wishing that Ali Baba and his 40 Thieves come banging on your door isn't going to help you, working harder and being more dedicated to your cause will make it happen.

Which, in turn, would change the "I wish I had another beer." into a more solid reality as well.

Stop wishing people. Start doing. You'll be more confident. You'll feel empowered, and you'll come out a better person.

For now, I will bid you ado, and retreat back into this insanity we call society. May my words, be your sanctuary from it all, and....

I wish common sense, was more common...

- Knuckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment