Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Passion of the Feist....

So, you get a friend request in your Inbox from an old college buddy on Facebook. You exchange pleasantries, and you have the "Remember when...???" moment. Then, you realize a year later, "Hey, Blank hasn't written a word to me in months!" Sounds paltry doesn't it, but...let me vent...

Facebook, twitter, and even e-mail are sitting at your fingertips. They have all shrank the world. They have all enabled the least amount of effort to correspond with one another, and yet, there are many that sit idly by and do nothing.

Apparently text messaging was too difficult. Apparently e-mail took too much time. So, we made the world into 140 characters or less friendships.

"I know that you're alive and well, because I see you updating pictures, and your status. So, why do I have to write you?"

Here's my take on that. Take away the Social Networks. Take away e-mail. Take away text messages. Would you call, or write, or stop by if it required the effort? If not, then you're probably not that good of a friend to begin with. It's a world of Single Serving Friends. It's a world of...given the easiest possible way to communicate, and yet people still make no effort.

I hate hearing "How is so-n-so?" "Good I guess. They're on my Facebook, but I haven't talked to them in months." How is that a friendship? What world do we live in that that's acceptable behavior? Where, little action is necessary, and it's still too much.

I live in a world, that if I care, I reach out. I live in a world, that my actions show you that I am thinking of you, and that I care for your well being, and therefore I make an effort to show you such.

Sadly, the world I live in is not the world that others live in.

As I stated before, we're living in a Single Serving world, and it saddens me. Marriage, Best Friends (real best friends...not this "BFF" bullshit), and lifelong commitments are a thing of the past...or at least they're wounded and are bleeding so bad that they'll be dead soon.

In finishing, if we took away the internet, how much effort would you be willing to make to reconnect with the people that were once in your life?

Maybe this is just me being a sappy fella. Maybe this is me being feisty, and tired of Single Serving Friends to a point of wishing I wasn't the only one putting forth the effort.

Or, maybe I just need a drink, and a fistful of Shut The Fuck Up?!

Either way...


It's my blog. These are my feelings. And, so it's okay.

TALLY-HOOOOO!!!!!

=Knuckles

No comments:

Post a Comment